Prosecco DOC and Parmesan Cheese

National Prosecco Week is taking place on July 18 – 24, and can’t come at a better time than in almost the middle of the summer when we are gathering and enjoying the warm weather. Prosecco brings a mood. Perhaps it is the remembrance of the Italian spirit during the summer, or the spark of each bottle sets you in a joyful mood to start enjoying any moment with friends. This Prosecco Mood, what I call the spirit of Prosecco it was has made this Italian Sparkling Wine my favorite Sparkling to welcome guests for two years.

My suggested pairing with Prosecco DOC and Parmesan Cheese is a classic pairing that works because the fruity side of Prosecco DOC, along with the minerality, goes along with the nutty and dry side of the Parmesan Cheese. I have a couple of suggestions so you can master this pairing!

Prosecco DOC and Parmesan Cheese
Prosecco DOC and Parmesan Cheese

Prosecco DOC

Prosecco has been one of the first Sparkling Wines of Italy by excellence. And I mean first because according to the Prosecco DOC Consortium, the First mention of the wine named “Prosecco,” produced in the city of Prosecco, district of Trieste, was in 1382. More than a couple of centuries ago. Hence, the Italians have had a significant amount of time perfecting the bubbles on this Sparkling Wine.

Prosecco is an excellent aperitif. Prosecco DOC is a classification of this Sparkling wine that must be made with Glera grape with a minimum of 85% (large, long, loosely-packed, and winged bunches; bright yellow grapes). For the other 15% typically, local varieties are used, such as Verdiso (acidity and freshness), Bianchetta Trevigiana (more body), Perera (pear notes), and Glera, Lunga (green citrus and sapidity), as well as international varieties: Pinot and Chardonnay.

On the other side, Prosecco DOC Rosé has to be produced with a minimum of 85% Glera Grape and & Pinot Nero (vinified as red wine, between 10% or 15%)

Prosecco DOC is fermented only by the Martinotti Method, also called Tank/Charmat Method.

My suggested Prosecco DOC for this year will be:

  • Valdo Prosecco DOC Rosé Brut Millesimato 2019 “Marca Oro” Rose Brut
  • Valdo Prosecco DOC Brut NV “Marca Oro”
  • Zardetto Prosecco DOC Brut NV Brut
  • Zardetto Prosecco DOC Rosé NV Extra Dry
  • Brilla Prosecco DOC Rosé NV Brut

Parmesan Cheese

Not that I am a cheese expert, but according to cheese.com, Parmesan Cheese has a complex, gritty texture and is fruity and nutty in taste. Cheeses mocking Parmesan or inferior Parmesan may have a bitter taste. 

Parmesan cheese, called Parmigiano Reggiano in Italian, is considered among the top cheeses by cheese connoisseurs. Parmesan Cheese is typically added to Italian Classics such as pasta, pizza even soups. But if cut in slices, it serves as a delicious snack, even better paired with Prosecco DOC.

To continue celebrating National Prosecco Week, check the series of events, promotions, and activations to celebrate Prosecco DOC. Get more information here.

More Wine Pairings


Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: